Sunday, June 28, 2009

Adventure on a whim!

This summer I haven't made too many plans except to have as much fun as possible! As a kid summer was all about bike riding ALL day, gardening, mowing the lawn (yes, that was one of my favorite things...now with allergies, not so much) and bug collecting. A few days ago I woke up and had no plans, but I just had to get the kids out of the house and away from ALL of the electronics. I didn't feel like hauling everyone to the swimming pool and wanted to do something different. So, I decided to take the kids hiking up to Dripping Springs. I have been wanting to do stuff like this all summer, but just haven't had the chance or the will to do it. :) Last year when Jesse and I tried to do it we just couldn't make it up to the top, but I was determined to make it. I loaded up the double jogging stroller, some WATER and snacks and away we went. We also wanted to collect some bugs while there as well and boy did we find the jackpot of Butterflies. The hike was about a 1.5 mile hike on a constant up hill slope on loose rocks. It was pretty tough at times. My legs and back were on fire! After about 1 1/2 hours of walking we made it up the trail to the springs. There wasn't that much water, but we didn't care. I was just glad to have set a goal and reach it. I think the kids learned that lesson also because both Cameron and Bryce remarked about how they wanted to turn back lots of times, but if we would've done that, we would not have found our butterfly "Goldie." Cameron kept telling me how proud he was of me for catching the butterfly. He's so cute.

Going down the trail was much easier. It only took us 30 min. Here's a snapshot of that.
It was a great outdoor adventure.A huge lizard we found on the trail. Bryce wanted to take it home, but there was no way we could catch it. It took off running on its hind legs. Not that I would want to take it home anyways. :)
It's getting hot! Time to wet the kids down a bit. I guess this is one of the old cowboy "resort" buildings. One tired group. Finally we made it! Bella's asleep in the stroller. Dripping Springs. Not much "dripping" going on, but it's still beautiful. This is the start of our 2009 bug collection. We're still gathering bugs from home and will add to them at the reunion. We actually had a few more, but their bodies weren't intact enough for display. :)

4 comments:

Beth said...

Sounds like an adventure! You are brave to do it alone. I'm glad at the end that it all worked out alright and that the kids were glad they hiked all the way.

Moma said...

What lucky children to have such and adventurous mother. The joy of accomplishment will last a lifetime with the kids. What a great butterfly too. Like I told Jesse, my most ambitious thing was sneekily waking the older child up at 5:30 am to walk down to the donut shop for day old donuts. It was probably a mile or so.

Janet Thwaits said...

What a fun memory maker. Miss you and love you too. Aunt Jan

Shane and Michelle said...

Joyce, I saw a link to your family blog from Sariah Spraldings blog and thought I'd say hello. I got my eyes checked last week and after seeing a family picture,put two and two toether that Cameron and Braden were in the same preschool class. You have a terrific family!! Hopefully Braden and Cameron will be in the same school. Braden will attend Sonoma Ranch. Well good to find your blog!! :)
~Michelle Butler