Tuesday, March 9, 2010

You never know when inspiration will come.

Throughout January I was painting frames and so of course the girls wanting to be "painting" something as well. With some watercolors this is what Bella scribbled.All parents know that you just can't keep every single piece of your child's artwork. I was about to toss this in the trash, but paused to look at it. I could see a lanky body with eyes setting on top of what seemed like a sharp pointy nose. To me it almost looked like this thing was grabbing his nose. His backside is obviously bony/spiky in some way. I decided to hold onto it because I'm always looking for some ideas for weird creatures for either myself to draw or my son Bryce (who also likes to draw). Well, after putting it off for almost a month last night I sat in bed and just started to sketch my own interpretation of what I saw in this painting. I had to make a few changes, but this is what I came up with. With some color I think it would be a little more interesting. It's just about the ugliest thing I've ever seen, but his eyes are kind which makes me like him.

5 comments:

tawnya said...

Joyce, that's amazing!

Beth said...

Wow Joyce what an interpretation of Bella's art. I can't wait to see the finished product once you've added some color.

Joyce Sowards said...

It's not amazing Tawnya, but thanks! :) My kids laughed when they saw it. It is just about the ugliest creature.

tawnya said...

For someone who can't draw a straight line with a ruler? It's amazing. And I can totally see it w/in the inspiration!

Moma said...

That is a fun creature. I know you have lots of art in you that will come out more and more as your children grow older. Keep it up!!