Sunday, September 13, 2009

Adventures with Snuffy!

Snuffy is my dad's nickname. He got that nickname from the guys who used to work with him at Haliburton. They said that my dad reminded them of the cartoon character Snuffy that used to be in the Sunday papers. So, my kids carry on the same name...Grandpa Snuffy. I think it's cute.

He's a kind, gentle soul who is always looking to explore. I've had a great time with my dad lately. Two weekends out of this month have been spent with him and going to places I've never been. Just like when I was little. My dad used to take me and my sisters out on Sunday afternoon drives and we'd always, no matter how well we thought we knew the Artesia area, we would find a place that we had never been to. Plus, it was a chance to get a driving lesson and eat an M.R.E. which I loved!

The first weekend trip we met up in Lincoln, NM to find wild raspberries and then go to a u-pick farm for other kinds of fruit. The raspberries weren't quite ready, but I was able to pick some yummy blackberries instead. Unfortunately, I was told that the owner of the Blue Eagle Restaurant in Las Cruces (a very fancy place) bought about $300 worth of berries that same day and nearly cleaned them out. I managed to get enough though. It was fun for the most part, except it started to get very hot and my little ones had enough of the farm hopping.

Behind the farm was a rode that took you to a restaurant which was also owned and run by the owner of the u-pick farm. It's called the Laughing Sheep Farm. We all had such a good time there. Everyone who worked there was so laid back and really tried hard to entertain the kids. The owner brought out her sweet, but HUGE dogs and the big white dog was named Bella. The kids got a crack out of that. We got some ice cream, watched the kids frolic around.


We drove by the Smoky the Bear Museum, but it was closed. My kids were very disappointed about that. We got lost at one point and ended up in Fort Stanton. Huge training facility for soldiers back in the 1800's. The museum worker was dressed up in the uniform of that time period and so that was interesting. Very pretty part of New Mexico that I've seen as a small child, but never really appreciated.

Our second trip was to Benson, AZ. I've been wanting to make the trek to Wilcox to buy some apples & pears and so we thought we'd make it another weekend trip because there was just to much to see in that area for just a day trip. The hotel at Benson was very nice and the kids swam twice the first day there. (They slept so hard that night.) Cameron swam for the first time without floaties on and I heard about it for the rest of the trip. Very exciting. The next day we headed to Tombstone. I was so impressed by that town. We hit the historic strip and I was not expecting to see so many people dressed in the time period clothing. Since it was Labor Day weekend they had a parade and so I took snap shots of my favorite costumes. (Too many!) We also got a chance to take a ride in an old stage coach which was fun. The kids and I got put into jail. They tricked us. They asked my kids if they would like one of their toy horses while handing it towards them, my kids said yes and took one, they replied as my kids walk away, "Thief! Sheriff there's some horse thief's over there, grab 'em!" The Sheriff takes the kids into jail and makes a whole big thing about it. I bailed them out and somehow ended up in Jail also. Bella cried for me because she had no idea what was going on. Pretty funny. We had a great time, but ran out of it too soon.
We headed down to Wilcox to go to the Apple Festival at Apple Annie's Orchard. They have some pretty delicious apples, pears, peaches, etc. We rode a tractor out to the orchards and would rush to pick our fruit in time for the tractor to come around and get us. We were all sweaty and thirsty, but my kids never complained. I would say, "wow, picking fruit is hard work isn't it?" Cameron replied, "YEEAHH, but this is the moooossst fun I've ever had working!" So cute he is. We were the last one's to leave that day and we got to meet the owner and eat some homemade apple pie ice cream. I bought about 100 pounds of fruit and am in the process of canned & drying the fruit while kicking myself for buying so much. But, it's so nice to have on hand for our food storage and it keeps me up to skill on my canning skills. It fills my house with the aroma of Fall. One thing that the boys were soooo pumped about was the fact that they got their first pocket knife. It has their names on it and so it makes it even better. The cowboy working the store gave them a good talking to about being careful and stuff and they listened with wide eyes. They're sure growing up.



This trip really took it out of me. My energy was zip for a few days after getting home. Dad, I had a great time. Thanks for the memories and your easy going attitude. I love you very much!

1 comment:

Moma said...

Were those people paid to dress up or were they just history enthusiasts. What a fun place, i am sure the kids did love being put in jail. It is so nice that your dad is easy going. Life is so much fun with easy going people.